Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Digging Deeper

    Hey! So in todays post I want to share some of the research I have been conducting regarding our film opening. As I mentioned in my previous post, I mentioned how my group and I decided to create an opening working with the genre of horror. We have now decided we also want to incorporate elements of coming of age films as well. The reason we settled on this is because we love the character development/psychological growth protagonists take in coming of age films and we genuinely just enjoy what the element of horror can bring to a piece. We think this will allow us to achieve a successful and captivating clip for our audience. 

    Because we are of course still figuring out what exactly we want the content of the clip to be, we decided to dig a little more and conduct some research and start making plans!

RESEARCH

 
   While conducting research, we found that the film CARRIE is a perfect piece to get inspiration from. The films opening segment is not uncommon compared to traditional horror films. Its opening shower scene is what we were drawn too. The soft music and blissfulness of the scene is soon taken over and somewhat destroyed as Carrie gets her first menstruation. This helped the audience get a taste of what is to come in the film. My team members and I want to incorporate some of the elements in the clip like the use of sound and diffused lighting to both establish the tone of the scene but also introduce our characters.


 

    Another film that my team and I believe we could draw inspiration from is from the film My Friend Dahmer. This film is focuses on the origin story of one of the most well know serial killers of all time, Jeffrey Dahmer. The opening segment of this piece is unlike one I have seen before. It shows Dahmer begin an obsession with a jogger who takes the same route every day on his way home from school. Every clip shows the progression of his obsessive behavior with the jogger. This simple act already tells the audience that Dahmer has obsession issues and this side of him is only growing. This works to tell the audience something without using any dialogue which is something my team members and I love about it. 


    After conducting some of our research, we play to use elements from these films and others to creat an opening for our film that truly expresses the genre of horror/coming of age. We can't wait to continue working. Stay tuned for my next update :)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Converse Review!!!

Hey guys! Trendy Mom here back with another review for you fellow moms! I am hopping back on here to tell you guys about my latest find. As ...